by Rino Gallo
Exclusively, the Too Good To Go app reveals a gourmet recipe that will delight your taste buds at a lower cost and using leftovers from the fridge.
Is your fridge almost empty? Didn’t have time to go shopping? Don’t panic, if you have a few vegetables left over from your plate the day before, you’re quite capable of making a nice little side dish. So, in addition to fighting food waste, you’ll be good for your wallet.
Too Good To Go, the famous app that allows users to buy surprise baskets made up of unsold products at discounted prices, then offers to bake you a kale and feta pie. “One green cabbage is usually too big for a single meal. Use the leftovers in a vegetable pie that tastes good both hot and cold. You can serve the course with arugula or a green salad,” the platform suggests in its book , “Cooking without throwing anything away: the book of recipes and tips”, available from November 15.
Here’s how to cook cabbage and feta pie with leftover vegetables
- 1 sheet of puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons to the. breadcrumbs (possibly stale bread)
- 1/2 green cabbage
- Sun-dried tomatoes (optional)
- 200 g of feta
- 5 eggs
- Splash of milk or cream
- salt and pepper
The steps to follow
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Lightly grease a cake tin (metal). Put the puff pastry on it and press well.
- Cover it with a sheet of parchment paper (recover it in which the puff pastry was wrapped) and sprinkle it with beans, rice, … to cook blind. Bake for 10 to 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Clean and chop the cabbage.
Brown it with a drizzle of olive oil and season with salt, pepper and nutmeg.
- Cut the sun-dried tomatoes into small pieces and put them in the cabbage.
- Remove the pie shell from the oven, remove the beans or rice (which you can reuse later) and sprinkle the dough with some breadcrumbs.
- Spread the vegetables over the base of the cake. Sprinkle them with feta.
- Beat the eggs with a splash of milk or cream. Add salt and pepper.
- Pour it all over the vegetables.
- Bake the cake for 30 minutes in the oven.