Do you have green tomatoes? We have recipes! Cooking with green tomatoes is an age-old tradition, helping to extend the life of summer tomatoes when the cool weather begins to arrive. But who said you can’t experiment with this vegetable in summer too? Here are some of the most popular green tomato recipes that will cool you down during the heat wave with their tangy flavor. If you season them right, it can be used to a serious advantage in the kitchen. So, let’s get into the kitchen!
Fried green tomatoes
- 3 medium green tomatoes
- 1 large egg
- 120 g of butter
- 60 g of all purpose flour divided
- 80 g of corn
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt or 1 teaspoon fine salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- a pinch of ground cayenne pepper
- avocado oil or other high-heat vegetable oil, for frying
- flaked sea salt
- Cut the tomatoes into slices.
- Beat the egg and butter in a shallow bowl.
- Put half of the flour in a medium plate. Mix the rest in another with the cornmeal, salt, pepper and cayenne.
- Dip a slice of tomato into the plain flour, shaking off the excess, dip into the egg mixture, then into the corn mixture until smooth and transfer to a plate. Repeat the process with the other tomato slices.
- In a heavy pan, heat the oil. Note that the oil must be very hot so that the tomatoes do not absorb it. Gently drop the tomatoes into the hot oil and cook for about 2 minutes per side or until golden brown.
- Transfer the fried tomatoes in a single layer to a paper towel-lined plate and sprinkle with flaky sea salt.
Recipes with green tomatoes: easy salad
- Large garlic clove, cut in half
- Green tomatoes, cut into small slices
- Oregano, you need a good amount
- A little basil
- Jalapeño, sliced
- Banana peppers or sweet peppers, thinly sliced
- Dried tomatoes, diced
- Onion, thinly sliced
- Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 spoonful of honey
- Fig or balsamic vinegar (about 2 tablespoons)
- salt and pepper
- Rub the inside of the salad with garlic.
- Mix the tomatoes and the next 6 ingredients inside.
- Drizzle with a vinaigrette made of oil, honey, vinegar, salt and pepper.
- Refrigerate approximately 1 hour before serving.
Light dish with green tomatoes
- 200 g of frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons of cold-pressed coconut oil
- 3-4 medium yellow turnips, cut into pieces
- 7-10 medium Brussels sprouts, cut into pieces
- a little cayenne
- ½ teaspoon grated ginger
- 2-3 cloves of garlic, grated
- 3-5 medium green tomatoes, sliced/chopped
- a handful of different mushrooms, sliced
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- a pinch of salt
- chopped fresh parsley
- Pour the frozen peas into a hot pan with the oil and stir well, then cover with a lid. In 3 minutes, add the turnips and Brussels sprouts. Stir well, cover and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, salt and any spices you like.
- Add the tomatoes, spread evenly over the top and cover for 2 minutes.
- Now it’s time to add the mushrooms. Spread them, of course, on top and then cover and cook for 3 minutes.
- Then turn off the heat, add the fresh herbs and sliced red onion.
You can use your own mushrooms for this vegan recipe that’s perfect for a light summer meal. To add more nutritional value, add cooked brown rice, quinoa or pasta.
Sauce with green tomatoes
- 5 small green tomatoes
- 1 jalapeño pepper (without the seeds)
- 3 large cloves of garlic
- 1 medium white onion
- 1-2 bunches of coriander
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons of lime juice
Preparation: Clean and cut the vegetables into large pieces. Then place them on a baking sheet and grill them over high heat for 4 to 5 minutes until they start to blacken. Turn them over and cook for another 5 minutes. Put everything in a food processor, along with the rest of the ingredients and blend until you get the desired consistency. Allow the homemade pasta to cool and serve with fries or toast.
Green tomato recipes: appetizer idea
- 2 large green tomatoes
- 1/4 small red onion
- 1 handful of fresh chives, fresh basil or oregano
- 4 slices of crusty bread
- 4 ounces of goat cheese
- garlic salt
- Freshly ground pepper
Preparation: Toast the slices of bread and spread them with goat cheese. Then add the tomatoes, onions and herbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. This is the ideal summer sandwich for your evening with friends!